Finding a workout partner is quite possibly the best thing you can do to enhance your training and fitness routine.
In Paleolithic times, people had a better understanding of the necessity of working together. Being alone often meant being unable to provide for all of your needs, and those who weren’t part of a community often didn’t last very long.
Today, we still work better with others and as part of a community, but with modern conveniences it’s easier to lose sight of that fact. When it comes to working out, having a supportive workout buddy or group can make a huge difference in your ability to stay motivated and achieve success.
Still need some convincing? Here are six specific benefits of working out with a friend:
- Safety – A workout partner can help keep you safe in a couple of ways. They give you someone to spot you in the gym when you’re doing some heavy lifting, and can advise you on technique. Secondly, if you exercise outdoors by running, walking or cycling, it’s always safer with others.
- Motivation – Exercising with others is often more enjoyable than working out on your own. Having someone to talk to, joke around with and share your stories with as you work towards a common goal has a huge effect on your enjoyment of and commitment to your exercise program.
- Challenge – Studies show that working out with others can help push you to higher levels of exertion (and thus, greater fitness gains) than working out on your own. This is particularly true if you are working out with someone who is of equal or greater fitness.
- Consistency – The fact is, we’re much more likely to stick to a workout program if we have someone to hold us accountable. It’s easy to skip a workout if you’re on your own, but it’s much more difficult to skip a workout if you know you have someone who’s waiting and counting on you to go with them to the gym.
- Perspective – A workout partner can give you a unique perspective on your training program and your abilities that you can’t really get on your own. For instance, a workout partner may spot something like diet, lifestyle habits, or an unnoticed workout tendency that is holding you back.
- Celebration – Finally, having a workout partner gives you someone to celebrate your success with. There’s nothing quite like working together with someone else to achieve a difficult goal. Your workout partner may be the only person who really understands how hard you’ve worked to get where you want to be. Once you’ve reached that milestone, it’s time to celebrate!
Since you’re here …
… we’ve got a small favour to ask. More people are reading CAVEMENWORLD than ever, but few are paying for it. Advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike some othe organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our articles open to all. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. CAVEMENWORLD’s independent, investigative journalism and graphics take a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too.
If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure.