The best time to start working out is right now, regardless of your circumstances—and here are the top 10 reasons why.
There is never a perfect time to begin a fitness program. The more you delay, the better your mind will become at creating new milestones required to start working out. Every little twist and turn in your life can become an excuse to put it off.
Before you know it, years go by without any regular exercise, giving diseases plenty of time to take root in your body. It’s time to start working out now for these ten reasons:
- Heart Disease Prevention – Exercise helps your body retract any coronary artery plaque buildup. The degree of plaque buildup and calcium deposits is directly correlated to likeliness of heart disease.
- Cancer Prevention – The amount of research that shows how powerful regular workouts are at preventing certain cancers is staggering. Working out will result in considerably less risk of colon, breast and prostate cancers.
- Blood Pressure Control – High blood pressure is a major risk factor for stroke, heart disease, type II diabetes and other problems. Working out produces immediate effects to regulate blood pressure.
- Safe Substitute for Prescription Drugs – Many drugs are prescribed to treat ailments that can be alleviated or eliminated with exercise, from ongoing aches and pains to digestive problems or frequent colds. Regular exercise wields a ruthless force against the common body problems that afflict millions.
- Faster Resting Metabolism and Fat Loss – Consistent intense exercise results in a faster metabolism even while you sleep, burning more fat calories.
- Improved Glucose Metabolism – Exercise, particularly strength training, will immediately go to work at stabilizing blood sugar levels, which in turn reduces fatigue and fights hunger. You will “train” the insulin receptor sites on your muscle cells to more efficiently uptake the glucose (blood sugar) that’s delivered to them by insulin. When this process works efficiently, you won’t develop insulin resistance, which not only is the harbinger to type II diabetes, but in itself raises the risk of heart disease, stroke and even dementia.
- Insomnia Relief – Regular exercise is the foe of sleepless nights; the effect is immediate.
- Stress Management – Working out will mellow you even after the most harried day on the job; it’s the perfect de-stressor that beats any happy hour drink at the pub.
- Depression and Anxiety Relief – The effects of exercise against depression and anxiety are astounding.
- Greater Self-Confidence – A good exercise program produces progressive results in performance. When the 10-pound dumbbells become 30-pounders, the pump this gives to the psyche is unmatched.
Stop waiting for the perfect time to begin an exercise program. Even if you feel “old” or if you are morbidly obese, it’s never too soon to begin working out.
Since you’re here …
… we’ve got a small favour to ask. More people are reading CAVEMENWORLD than ever, but few are paying for it. Advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike some othe organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our articles open to all. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. CAVEMENWORLD’s independent, investigative journalism and graphics take a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too.
If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure.