Whether you find yourself wanting to doze off at the desk after lunch or need a pick me up after a workout, the right snack can provide the energy you need.
Our Stone Age ancestors were physically active, often from sunrise to sunset. To keep their energy levels up, they would eat energizing snacks throughout the day—nuts, berries and seeds they found growing in the wild.
Nowadays, replenishing energy with nutritious snacks remains just as important. Let’s look at eight great power snacks that are healthy and can help keep fatigue at bay.
- Veggies with Hummus – Veggies don’t have to be boring. They provide healthy carbs that are loaded with fiber, vitamins and nutrients. Add hummus for protein and your snack will go that much further. Red peppers are a great choice but don’t forget about other veggies like sugar snap peas, asparagus, mushrooms and zucchini.
- Banana with Peanut Butter – Take one banana and two tablespoons peanut butter. The sugar is naturally sweet and takes longer for your body to metabolize than candy. The protein in the peanut butter will provide you with energy for the entire day. For a change of pace, substitute a sliced apple now and then.
- Dried Fruits and Nuts – A half cup of mixed dried fruits and nuts is packed with good fats and protein. Nuts metabolize slowly, providing you with energy all day long, and the fruit offers a natural sweetness.
- Plain Nonfat Yogurt with Granola – Take six ounces of plain nonfat yogurt and add 2 tablespoons granola for the perfect crunchy snack. You can add a little honey if you like it sweeter; berries also work great. This snack is full of energy.
- Popcorn – This snack is packed with fiber so you you’ll feel full and, because it is a whole grain, it’s healthy. It’s a munchie that’s easy to prepare and so, so good.
- Whole Grain Crackers with Hummus – Six whole grain crackers with two tablespoons hummus offers you one of the best energy boosts around. Hummus contains lots of fiber, which keeps you feeling full and provides energy all day.
- Soy Crisps – If you are looking for a snack that feels like a chip snack, soy crisps are an excellent choice. They are salty and crunchy, but at the same time they are protein-rich dietary staples.
- Shredded Carrot and Raisins – The sugar in the raisins is natural and healthy, while the carrot supplies a wealth of key vitamins and minerals. For a bit of crunch, toss in some crushed almonds. Delicious!
Of course, commercially produced power bars can be an option, too, but try to stay with those that contain mostly natural ingredients–something a caveman would have been happy to eat.
Since you’re here …
… we’ve got a small favour to ask. More people are reading CAVEMENWORLD than ever, but few are paying for it. Advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike some othe organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our articles open to all. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. CAVEMENWORLD’s independent, investigative journalism and graphics take a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too.
If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure.